Tuesday, December 18, 2018

YOU ARE THERE

I was wearing my dark grey, ribbed, mock turtleneck
and my sleeveless, houndstooth, button-up dress
because I wanted to look special for your visit

I showed you my dorm room
and then we sat in the lounge
and Mom snapped a picture
with my head on your shoulder

You had come to see me because I had been suffering acutely
and you wanted me to know that you were there to support me

When I think back to the moments of solidarity
I shared with my father before he died
I realize he is "there" in all future moments of suffering

And then I think about the moments of jubilation
like when I wept while reading my "Why My Choice is Life" essay
at the Birthright convention

He wept too

so that means even though you were gone by the time
I adapted, produced, and directed my first play
and gave away my kidney

You were still there

And that is such a comfort

No comments:

Post a Comment